"When in Rome, do as the Romans do." (St Ambrose) is a classic phrase that summarizes the best way to explore Rome... How? By appreciating their native tongue, by exploring the ruins of the lost empires, be awed by their ancient architecture, by walking their streets and having a taste of their famous espresso, pizza, pasta and gelato!
Rome is TripAdvisor's Traveler's Choice for 2012 as the Top 3 Best Destinations in the World. It ranked next to London and New York, and ranked better than Paris, France taking the 4th place. Voted also as #6 Top Cities in the World by Travel + Leisure -2012. Why? Because Rome has so much to offer, from historical sites, to gastronomical adventures, to romantic places, name it and this city has it.
There are numerous places to see and things to know about Rome which makes it quite difficult to make a short list. So let me enumerate just 16 best places to see, based on my personal standard :
1) Capitoline Wolf - I took this picture while strolling at Capitoline Hill. The Capitoline Wolf is a sculpture of a she-wolf suckling twin infants, inspired by the legend of the founding of Rome. The Original bronze Capitoline Wolf statue has been housed since 1471 in the Museo Nuovo in the Palazzo dei Conservatori on the Campidoglio (the ancient Capitoline Hill), Rome.
2) Colloseum - one of the most famous landmark of Rome. It was originally called Flavian Amphitheather and the largest ever built in the Roman Empire which can seat 50,000 spectators.
|photo taken from SolitaryWanderer.com|
4) Roman Forum- located at the center of Rome. It is a plaza surrounded by ruins of ancient temples, senate house , law courts and other important government structures.
5) St. Peter's Square and St Peter's Basilica- St Peter’s Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world and a must visit even to non-catholics. Directly in front of the Basilica is St Peter’s Square, the Egyptian obelisk marks the center and a granite fountain by Carlo Maderno on one side.
6) Basilica Di Santa Maria Maggiore - is the largest Roman Catholic Marian church and one of the four Patriarchal Basilicas of Rome.
Page 1 2