6) Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) - The Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. Also known as The Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie) because it is a burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians such as Michelangelo Buonarroti, Niccolò Machiavelli, Galileo Galilei, Ugo Foscolo, Lorenzo Bartolini, Giovanni Gentile, and many more.
|large statue of Dante (1865) by Enrico Pezzi on the left side of the Basilica|
|entrance to the Cloister|
On the right side of the Basilica is the Cloister, the14th century refectory, housing the famous Crucifix by Cimabue, one of the most important works of art ever.
7) Museo Casa di Dante - is a typical medieval home with a small museum dedicated to Italy's greatest poet , Dante Alighieri. The museum represents his life.
|photo from www.museocasadidante.it|
8) The National Museum of the Bargello- is a former barracks and prison, now an art museum. The museum houses masterpieces by Michelangelo, Donatello , Vincenzo Gemito, Giambologna and many works from the Della Robbia family.
9) Ponte Vecchio - the most famous bridge in Florence, from Piazza della SIgnoria walk towards the Uffizi Gallery , go straight and you will see River Arno. On the right is Ponte Vecchio, it is also the oldest bridge in Florence,the bridge consists of three segmental arches.
|Love Padlocks - along the bridge you will see a lot of Love Padlocks, it is connected to Lovers' devotion by locking the padlock and throwing the key into the river which symbolizes undying love, sweet or not? But unfortunately the padlocks are destroying the structure of the centuries-old bridge.|
10) Shopping and of course... food area - whenever I think of Florence, gold and leather comes to mind. They have a huge and artistic collection! Even without any intention to buy, you will still enjoy walking around and checking their stuff. And of course don't ignore their food! Florence is Travelers' Choice® 2012 Winner for Food & Wine (2011).
Florence also made it to the list of Traveler's Choice -2012 as Top # 12 Best Destination in the World (TripAdvisor). So what are you waiting for? If you are a lover of art and history, Florence is the best city for you. From Italy's best museums, beautiful cathedrals and churches, interesting streets and piazzas... much more awaits, just walk aimlessly and let the city suprise you.
Page 1 2