There is only one thing I am so scared to do in Saigon ....cross the streets! The traffic there is really crazy, the city is well famous for its motorbikes that throng the streets. If you have been there you know what I mean, and if not it is something you need to experience. Is it a turn-off for tourists? Nah, actually it adds up to the personality of the city, one reason why you will enjoy it more!
Ho Chi Minh City , formerly named and until now well known as Saigon is the largest and most populated city in Vietnam. It is also the second most important city of Vietnam next to Hanoi because of its contribution to tourism and commerce.
Saigon is best enjoyed by foot. Yeah you read it right, so walk! Let me enumerate the 10 best places to visit and things to do in Saigon by just walking in their city center:
1) Notre Dame de Saigon –also called Notre Dame Basilica de Saigon, is a magnificient building located at the heart of the city, it is well visited by tourist because of its neo-Romanesque style architecture.
2) Ho Chi Minh City Museum – this used to be the residence of so many Vietnam rulers and now considered a historical site. Tunnels were built underground the building to help the leaders escape in case of political strikes.
3) Reunification Palace- also called the Independence Palace was built as the home of the president of South Vietnam during the time of the Vietnam war.
4) Central Post Office- this building is famous for its French colonial architecture. It is a creation of Gustave Eiffel, the designer of the world famous Eiffel Tower of Paris.
5) Ho Chi Minh City Hall- for me this building is well photographed at night. Also famous for its French Colonial style of architecture.
6) Municipal Theater- also known as Saigon Opera House was built in 1897 in a style which they claimed very similar to that of Opera Garnier and Petit Palais in Paris. It was also used as the residence of the Lower House of Assembly of South Vietnam.
7) Vietnam Park and walking their streets- expect crowded parks, Vietnamese loves to hang out with their friends doing.. nothing! believe me you will be surprise.
8) Shop at Cho Ben Thanh Market - Cho Ben Thanh is the large market located at the heart of the city. Shopping here is fun, you can haggle the prices! I specially love their colorful home decors.
9) Eat their food and don't forget to taste their coffee! -Food tripping is fun anywhere you go, it is the best way to explore and appreciate culture. And Vietnamese food is definitely one thing you should not ignore and never ever dare to leave Saigon without tasting their local coffee, believe me you will be sorry if you will not try it!
|Vietnamese coffee is a local ground coffee, brewed in the regionally popular Phin filter, A MUST try!|
- trip to Mekong River
-Accidental Saigon Photoshoot